Thursday, February 11, 2010

Victoria

Looking back toward Tsawwassen as we head toward Swartz Bay! What a beautiful January dary to cruise through the Sunshine Coast. No matter where I go, living here always amazes me.







I thought I'd found this delightful, boutique, antique hotel online but it was kinda a dud. The windows weren't quaint, they were just old and original and didn't open, so, I took this shot with my camera on the windowsill. I love the context of modern office building as a background for the very old church steeple. We were only a couple blocks from the Inner Harbor and the famous Empress Hotel, where my parents honeymooned 50 years ago! We love staying in Victoria because it's international travel without the hassle!



Not sure what the temps were, neither in metric or American! but, it was cold! I have on a wool scarf that was made in India that I bought in Bellingham, a wool sweater made in the Burren of Ireland that I bought near Dun Laorie, and mittens made in Idaho! We saw boats in the marina from all over too!


Parliament, which is over 100 years old, was set in lights for The Queens Diamond Jubilee in 2002. Apparently she thinks she has been the queen of Canada for 50 years but people here know differently! We visited when we did because we knew once the Olympics started it would be difficult to get through the borders as easily as we otherwise would. As it was, the waits were very long. Victoria is wonderful because you can explore and walk all day and still have something left to see or do. Next time we go we want to visit China Town. How have we been here so many times and never knew it was there??

An overcast view of the famous Empress Hotel. Still majestic after 102 years! My mom was born and raised in Canada and all her siblings still live there, mostly east coast. My father's family has extensive ties to Canada, and my Uncle Lorne is still a citizen though he lived, worked, and raised children in the U.S. for years. Sometimes I think it is because of my family roots that I feel settled whenever I visit Canada.

There is a bluff just past the harbor in a residential neighborhood off the downtown Victoria area with magnificent views of the Washington Olympic Mountain Range.





No comments:

Post a Comment